Leanne and I chat about Cabernet Sauvignon in honour of Cabernet Day, the final Thursday earlier than Labour Day… once we want one thing stronger in our glass than rose 😉
Here are some fast information you need to learn about Cabernet Sauvignon:
- Cabernet Sauvignon was initially created by crossing the white grape Sauvignon Blanc and the purple grape Cabernet Franc. Cabernet Franc is the mum or dad grape of each Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Cabernet Sauvignon is most well-known in Bordeaux, France, the place it’s a part of a mix that may embody any or all the following grapes to extend the complexity of the ultimate wine: Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petite Verdot.
- In the US, these blends are referred to as Meritage.
It’s usually referred to as a donut wine with robust flavour at first first and an extended end, however missing within the mid-palate. Needs a fleshy purple like Merlot to fill that flavour “gap.”
McWilliams Wines JJ McWilliam Shiraz Cabernet 2013
South Eastern Australia, Australia
- It’s one of many world’s hottest wines and essentially the most extensively planted total. Cabernet can be planted in lots of areas as a result of its robust pores and skin and a small grape dimension so it resists illness and decay.
- It’s also known as the king of wines as a result of it’s full-bodied and deeply flavoured.
- Cabernet Sauvignon – Sauvignon means “wild” or savage referring to the brutal tannins. Tannins that dry feeling, not a style, like consuming walnuts. They bind with salvia, each sip makes your mouth really feel dryer.
- Those tannins allow Cabernet Sauvignon to age for many years and easy out over time because the wine turns into extra advanced and refined in consequence. Just how lengthy it may possibly age is determined by how effectively it was made (high quality of the fruit, and so on).
- If you don’t have the endurance or cellar area to age Cabernet, then decant it for an hour or two.
Chateau De Courteillac Merlot Cabernet Sauvignon 2008
- The Cabernet Sauvignon grape or berry is small so the ratio of the pores and skin to flesh or pulp of the grape is greater than different grapes.
- That means it’s extra flavourful and might age longer as a result of the flavour compounds in addition to the tannins are within the skins, so there’s extra of them within the wine.
- Signature aromas in its youth embody blackcurrant, cassis, blackberry, herbs and cedar or oak. Black fruit versus purple fruit.
- As it ages, Cabernet Sauvignon takes on notes of seductive spices, anise, violets, leather-based, olive, tobacco and cigar field. It’s usually aged in oak from 6-24 months.
Reif Estate Winery Cabernet Merlot 2017
Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario VQA, Canada
- When Cabernet goes improper: If the grapes weren’t absolutely ripened when picked, it may possibly have inexperienced bell pepper or weedy notes.
- There’s an fragrant compound in each Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc that’s additionally present in inexperienced bell peppers referred to as pyrazines — Merlot, Carmenere, Malbec and Sauvignon Blanc have it too.
- This is the grape’s pure protection towards pests in its youth because it doesn’t style nice in contrast to the riper and sweeter flavours that emerge because the grape ripens.
- Don’t be afraid of the herbaceous notes, they will have a pleasing flavour when in steadiness with different riper flavours.
Louis M. Martini Cabernet Sauvignon 2014
Sonoma County, California, United States
- What’s altering is that Cabernets in heat climates aren’t as over ripe as they was with extraordinarily excessive alcohol ranges of 14% or extra. Too a lot oak and vanilla spice. Going extra for steadiness and magnificence.
- Top 5 producers worldwide: France, Chile, the U.S., Australia and Spain
- It does particularly effectively in areas with heat, dry circumstances and an extended rising season reminiscent of California, Chile, Argentina and Australia.
Hester Creek Estate Winery The Judge Golden Mile Bench 2016
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia BC VQA, Canada