In this episode of the Unreserved Wine Talk podcast, we’re chatting with Chris Scott, a U.Ok.-based sommelier who revealed the world’s first-ever wine podcast, the UK Wine Show. Chris and his spouse, Jane additionally based ThirtyFifty, an organization which presents enjoyable and no-nonsense wine tastings for personal and company occasions. From his adventures as a triathlete to wine tastings in a scorching tub, Chris shares his often-hilarious adventures in addition to his sensible tasting suggestions, together with nifty methods to bodily see how acidic or tannic wine is and insights into the U.Ok. wine trade. Enjoy!
- Why did Chris turn into desirous about competing as a triathlete?
- How did ThirtyFifty get began?
- Where did the title ThirtyFifty come from?
- How did Chris find yourself internet hosting a wine tasting with a scorching tub?
- What was it like internet hosting a wine tasting in a citadel?
- How are you able to determine and describe tannins throughout a tasting?
- How does Chris outline steadiness in wine?
- Why does Chris imagine it’s so vital for wine tastings and educating to be experiential?
- How did Chris get began with The UK Wine Show?
- How did the tiki bar movies affect Chris early on together with his present?
- Does Chris suppose wine is a very good candidate as the topic of a podcast?
- How has the UK wine scene modified over time?
- Are there any connections between the rising circumstances within the UK and in Champagne?
- How does Chris suppose Brexit will influence the UK and European wine industries?
- What is the most effective wine recommendation Chris has ever acquired?
- What is Chris’ favorite wine gadget?
About Chris Scott
Chris Scott is an award-winning wine podcaster and presenter who runs wine tasting firm known as ThirtyFifty and produces a weekly wine podcast, The UK Wine Show, which is constantly ranked within the prime 10 Apple Podcasts’ Food & Drink charts.
Born and bred in New Zealand, Chris hung out as a pupil working hands-on within the vineyards of Canterbury earlier than graduating with top notch honours in engineering.
In 2001, he moved to London U.Ok. and now holds the WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wines & Spirits, the highest qualification. He now heads up a workforce of 20 wine consultants throughout the UK, between them operating greater than 500 company occasions, wine programs and personal tastings per yr.
Tag Me on Social
Tag me on social media in case you loved the episode:
Thirsty for extra?
Transcript & Takeaways
Welcome to episode 35!
In at present’s episode, we’re chatting with Chris Scott, a U.Ok.-based sommelier who revealed the world’s first-ever wine podcast. I’ll offer you a full intro on Chris in a minute. I do know you’re going to like his sensible tasting suggestions, together with nifty methods to bodily see how acidic or tannic a wine is.
A fast notice. Chris shares with us his favorite wine gadget close to the tip of the episode. I’ll put a hyperlink to that within the present notes at nataliemaclean.com/35 so you understand the place you should buy it, in addition to to the video model of this dialog so you may watch him display how one can use it. Yep, that’s one other tease … you’ll have to stay round to seek out out what it’s.
I’d love your assist in spreading the phrase about this podcast. Please publish a evaluation on social media or on Apple Podcasts, previously iTunes. If you try this, let me know and I’ll offer you a shout out on this podcast.
Plus, in case you do, I’ll ship a free copy of my Ultimate Food & Wine Pairing Guide. It’s a fast template protecting the foremost meals matches for pink, white, rose and dessert wines. It’s visually very interesting and I do know you’ll get tons of use from it. All you need to do is publish a evaluation on Apple Podcasts, previously iTunes, or on social media. Then simply e mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll ship it to you.
On with the present. Enjoy!
You can even watch the video interview with Chris that features bonus content material and behind-the-scenes questions and solutions that weren’t included on this podcast.
Well, there you could have it! Here are my takeaways from this terrific dialogue with Chris:
- I really like the best way Chris makes an summary idea like steadiness in wine concrete and visible together with his see-saw metaphor.
- His take a look at for figuring out the acidity in wine is so good, although not one thing I counsel you do at a cocktail party.
- What you are able to do at a cocktail party is his extra delicate take a look at for the power and firmness of tannins in your wine by rubbing your tongue alongside the roof of your mouth.
- Love his tip on half bottles for preserving wine.
- He has some nice insights into the similarities of Champagne and English wines, in addition to the implications of Brexit on the wine trade and wine lovers.
You’ll discover hyperlinks to Chris’s web site, social media handles, podcast, the video model of this interview and the gadget he advisable within the present notes at nataliemaclean.com/35.
Did you understand which you could now take heed to this podcast in your good speaker? Just say: “Hey Google” or for Amazon’s Echo, use her title that begins with A … I gained’t say it now because it’ll set off your machine and mine.
So I’ll say Madame A as in “Madam A — play the Unreserved Wine Talk podcast.” I’d love to speak about wine with you when you’re strolling the gerbil, cleansing your ductwork or clipping your toenails … it’s at all times wine time.
If you appreciated this episode, please inform a pal about it, particularly one who’s within the tasting suggestions that Chris shared. My podcast is simple to seek out, whether or not you search Google on its title Unreserved Wine Talk, or on my title.
Finally, if you wish to take your potential to pair wine and meals to the subsequent stage, be part of me in a free on-line video class at nataliemaclean.com/class.
I can’t wait to share extra wine tales with you.
Thank you for taking the time to take heed to this one. I hope one thing nice is in your glass this week!