What’s the easiest way to pair wine with tomatoes and tomato dishes? Will the present heatwave affect wine and the better wine economic system? How is Gary Vaynerchuk disrupting the best way we purchase wine? What impact does being in a romantic relationship have in your use or abuse of wine?
On this episode of the Unreserved Wine Talk podcast, I’m diving into all these subjects plus I’m sharing some ideas you need to use to get probably the most out of my wine app in your subsequent purchasing journey.
Enjoy the episode!
- What must you think about when pairing wine with tomatoes?
- Why are uncooked tomatoes significantly robust on wine?
- What sorts of wine are well-suited to pairing with tomatoes?
- Which wines must you keep away from pairing with tomatoes?
- How are bridging substances used with tomatoes?
- How can salt enhance your wine pairing expertise?
- Does the cooking model and spiciness of the meals have an effect on the wine pairing?
- How are the present heatwaves and file excessive temperatures affecting wine manufacturing around the globe?
- Which sorts of grapes are extra prone to the warmth?
- Are sure planting areas extra weak than others?
- How is Gary Vaynerchuk disrupting the best way we purchase wine?
- What areas are Empathy Wines sourced from?
- What does a brand new research say in regards to the impact of romantic relationships on alcohol consumption?
- How can you employ my wine app to make your subsequent wine purchasing journey straightforward?
Tomatoes and Wine Pairing Tips
Check out this video segment I did on Canada AM about pairing wine and tomatoes.
- Raw tomatoes are robust on wine. Luckily, they’re usually served cooked in a multi-ingredient dish or in a sauce, equivalent to ratatouille or marinara, which makes them much less harsh.
- Try juicy Italian reds, equivalent to Barbera, Valpolicella, and Dolcetto—all have complementary ripe pink fruit aromas, a contact of spice, and a mouth-awakening acidity.
- Cool-climate Pinots from Burgundy, Canada, New Zealand, and Oregon have these aromas too, along with the tartness wanted for tomatoes.
- Warm-climate Pinots, equivalent to these from California and Australia, with their excessive alcohol content material (14 % or extra), are too ripe and flabby to carry their very own with tomatoes.
- Not all tomatoes are created equal. The yellow, golden, and purple varieties are sweeter than the pink, so that they require a tart wine with ripe fruit aromas, equivalent to these Californian and Australian pinots.
- Red tomatoes have probably the most acidity.
- If you match a wine that doesn’t have that acidity, it’s going to style flabby compared to the tomatoes.
- Pasta, like hen, is a really impartial automobile, it’s what you set with it. It’s all in regards to the sauce within the tomatoes.
- They have all have acidity and it additionally will depend on the dish. The pasta’s going to melt the notion of acidity. So it’s totally different for those who’re simply consuming uncooked tomato and ingesting wine, it’s totally different once you put some salt, and so forth.
- If you set substances like basil or olive oil or mozzarella cheese, like a Caprese salad, that’s going to melt the acidity or the notion of the acidity within the tomato. Salting uncooked tomatoes achieves the identical impact.
Heatwaves and Wine
- The ultra-high temperatures of late have wreaked havoc on many French grapes to the purpose of no return.
- Temperatures in France have been as excessive as 48°C in June
- Vineyards are reporting losses of as much as 60-80%.
- There are a number of elements that have an effect on the severity of the affect of those temperatures together with:
- pruning kinds
- the extent of leaf cowl
- whether or not dry farming was getting used
- the route which the winery is going through
- June is a vital interval within the progress cycle of the vines since that is when the leaves and grapes are nonetheless inexperienced and really delicate to environmental results
Gary Vaynerchuk’s New Wine Club
- While working in his household’s wine store for the reason that age of 14, Gary began Wine Library TV within the early 2000s and turned the household enterprise into $60 million enterprise
- Gary has since grow to be an enormous entity within the digital media area and runs VaynerMedia, a digital company with shoppers like Pepsi and General Electric
- In 2018 Gary and two companions began Empathy Wines and disrupted the standard wine gross sales mannequin by bringing wines direct to shoppers
- Empathy Wines was launched with an progressive method – purely social media advertising
- Using this mannequin, Empathy Wines brings financial savings to shoppers for the reason that middlemen are reduce out of the method
- Empathy Wines affords a subscription service, in addition to personalised wine picks by way of textual content.
Relationships and Wine
- This study confirmed that being in a romantic relationship reduces the probability of participation in dangerous alcohol behaviour in individuals who have been genetically predisposed to alcohol dependence.
- This impact was particularly pronounced for males, a end result which helps different research which have proven the constructive well being results for males in romantic relationships.
- The “elevated social management” ensuing from these relationships creates an atmosphere the place companions make life-style selections that match up with their social expectations.
Tag Me on Social
Tag me on social media for those who loved the episode:
Thirsty for extra?
Transcript & Takeaways
Welcome to episode 40!
I’ve some juicy wine subjects to talk with you about on this episode, together with:
- How do you pair wine with several types of tomatoes and tomato dishes?
- How will the present heatwaves throughout North America and Europe change the model of wines we drink (and their costs)?
- How will the brand new direct to shopper wine membership from Gary Vaynerchuk change the best way we purchase wine?
- What does a brand new research say about being in a romantic and your use or abuse of wine and different sorts of alcohol?
I’ll embody hyperlinks to my pairing ideas, the wines I like to recommend for tomatoes, Gary’s new wine membership and the analysis research within the present notes at nataliemaclean.com/40.
Before we dive in, I’d prefer to share a word that I obtained lately from a listener. I’m not going to disclose the title of this particular person for privateness causes. Her word actually touched me, and I believe will resonate with you too.
She writes, “Thanks for the nice ideas in your final podcast. The sober curious pattern was very fascinating. I all the time surprise if I’m changing into an alcoholic when I’ve a glass of wine particularly when I’ve a second or third glass. Every day round four pm the urge to have a drink pops into my head, and if I ignore it, after an hour I’m positive and have a cup of tea as a substitute. It’s good to speak about this fear with you. I additionally purchased your e-book Red, White and Drunk All Over years in the past and beloved it. Thanks Natalie, you’re feeling like a buddy I’ve had for years.”
Thank you a lot for sharing this with me. I respect your openness and vulnerability.
I name four pm the arsenic hour … it’s usually the time after we’re probably the most exhausted from a full day of labor, and we haven’t discovered our second wind to calm down for the night. I wrestle with that personally, and use a mix of ways, together with attempting to decelerate each movement I make intentionally from strolling to deep respiratory. I am going for a stroll if I can, have inexperienced tea and take a complement known as Zen L-Theanine, which is an amino acid additionally present in inexperienced and black tea, in line with the web site Medical News Today. It might have an effect on the degrees of sure chemical substances within the mind, together with serotonin and dopamine, which affect temper, sleep, and emotion, and cortisol, to assist the physique cope with stress. This isn’t medical recommendation as I’m not a physician, I’m simply sharing what works for me in case it’s useful to you.
Alright, let’s dive into our subjects at present.
You may also watch the movies on Pairing Wine & Tomatoes and Relationships & Wine + Heatwaves that features bonus content material and behind-the-scenes questions and solutions that weren’t included on this podcast.
You’ll discover hyperlinks to nice wines in shops now that pair nicely with tomatoes within the present notes at nataliemaclean.com/40, together with hyperlinks to Gary’s new wine membership and the analysis research.
Did you realize you could now hearken to this podcast in your good speaker? Just say: “Hey Google” or for Amazon’s Echo, use her title that begins with A … I received’t say it now because it’ll set off your system and mine.
So I’ll say Madame A as in “Madam A — play the Unreserved Wine Talk podcast.” I’d love to talk about wine with you when you’re flossing your enamel, getting groceries or feeding your parrot … it’s all the time wine time.
If you preferred this episode, please inform a buddy about it, particularly one who’s serious about pairing wine with tomatoes, the affect of heatwaves on wine kinds, Gary’s new membership or the research about relationships and wine. My podcast is straightforward to seek out, whether or not you search Google on its title Unreserved Wine Talk, or on my title.
Finally, if you wish to take your potential to pair wine and meals to the following degree, be part of me in a free on-line video class at nataliemaclean.com/class.
I can’t wait to share extra wine tales with you.
Thank you for taking the time to hearken to this one. I hope one thing nice is in your glass this week, maybe a terrific glass of wine with a freshly picked tomato!