In this episode of the Unreserved Wine Talk podcast, we’re chatting with Tilar Mazzeo, creator and proprietor and winemaker at Parsell Vineyard. Her ebook The Widow Clicquot, a biography of Barbe-Nicole Clicquot Ponsardin, the founding father of the champagne home Veuve Clicquot grew to become a bestseller on the New York Times, and a movie adaptation of the ebook is within the works. Tilar provides us the story behind the Champagne and the girl who constructed not solely this prestigious luxurious model however was instrumental within the improvement of the trade as we all know it. She additionally shares her inspiration and insights from growing the Back-Lane Wineries sequence. Enjoy!
- Why did Tilar resolve to put in writing “The Widow Clicquot”?
- How did the Widow Clicquot get began within the wine enterprise?
- Why did Veuve Clicquot grow to be such a wanted model?
- What had been among the Widow Clicquot’s most outstanding improvements?
- How was the Widow Clicquot concerned with the wine tourism trade?
- Where did the Widow Clicquot and Louise Pommery’s paths cross one another?
- What web site must you be certain that to see when visiting Veuve Pommery?
- Did the Widow Clicquot ever remarry?
- What is the connecting thread by a lot of Tilar’s writings?
- How can learning fragrance train you about wine?
- Does Parsell Vineyard bottle its personal wine?
- How is Parsell’s Marechal Foch produced?
- Why did Tilar resolve to make use of growler bottles for her wines?
- What is uncooked wine?
- Where can you discover Parsell Vineyard?
- What is Tilar’s function on the vineyard?
- What is Tilar’s favorite wine gadget?
- Who is Tilar’s favorite winemaker?
- What is the weirdest wine pairing Tilar has ever had?
- What’s the perfect piece of wine recommendation Tilar has obtained?
About Tilar Mazzeo
Tilar J. Mazzeo is the Clara C. Piper Associate Professor of English at Colby College, in Waterville, Maine. She is the creator of quite a few works of narrative nonfiction, and several other of her books, together with the “oenobiography” The Widow Clicquot, have been New York Times, San Francisco Chronicle, and Los Angeles Times bestsellers. She was a nationally distinguished wine author within the United States earlier than emigrating to Canada, and her writing on wine has appeared in venues similar to Food & Wine journal and in her information ebook sequence The Back-Lane Wineries of Sonoma, The Back-Lane Wineries of Napa, and The Back-Lane Wineries of New York. She holds a certificates from the winemaking program on the University of California at Davis and is at present the proprietor and winemaker at her household’s property venture, Parsell Vineyard in Saanichton, British Columbia.
Tag Me on Social
Tag me on social media in the event you loved the episode:
Thirsty for extra?
Transcript & Takeaways
Welcome to episode 37!
In right now’s episode, we’re chatting with Tilar Mazzeo, who has held numerous professorial and educating positions at a number of American universities, in addition to being the Washington Scholar at Pembroke College, in Cambridge, UK. She’s at present an Associate Professor within the Department of Literature and Languages of the World on the Université de Montréal in Canada.
Her ebook The Widow Clicquot, a biography of Barbe-Nicole Clicquot Ponsardin, the founding father of the champagne home Veuve Clicquot grew to become a bestseller on the New York Times, and a movie adaptation of the ebook is within the works.
Tilar additionally wrote The Secret of Chanel No. 5: The Biography of a Scent, one other bestselling biography of a well-known lady, Coco Chanel, in addition to The Hotel on Place Vendôme, which chronicles the Ritz Hotel in Paris throughout Nazi occupation.
She was a nationally distinguished wine author within the United States earlier than emigrating to Canada, and her writing on wine has appeared in venues similar to Food & Wine journal and in her information ebook sequence The Back-Lane Wineries of Sonoma, The Back-Lane Wineries of Napa, and The Back-Lane Wineries of New York. She holds a certificates from the winemaking program on the University of California at Davis and is at present the proprietor and winemaker at her household’s property venture, Parsell Vineyard in Saanichton, British Columbia, alongside along with her husband Dr. Robert Miles, a Canadian professor of English, who manages the vineyards.
Quick observe. Tilar shares with us her favorite wine gadget close to the top of the episode. I’ll put a hyperlink to that within the present notes at nataliemaclean.com/37 so you recognize the place you should purchase it on Amazon or elsewhere, in addition to to the video model of this dialog so you’ll be able to watch her show methods to use it.
I’d love your assist in spreading the phrase about this podcast. Please submit a evaluation on Apple Podcasts, previously iTunes, or on social media. If you do this, let me know and I’ll offer you a shout out on this podcast.
Plus, in the event you do, I’ll ship a free copy of my Ultimate Food & Wine Pairing Guide. It’s a fast template overlaying the main meals matches for crimson, white, rose and dessert wines. It’s visually very interesting and I do know you’ll get tons of use from it. All it’s a must to do is submit a evaluation on Apple Podcasts or on social media. Then simply e mail me at email@example.com and I’ll ship it to you.
On with the present. Enjoy!
You can even watch the video interview with Tilar that features bonus content material and behind-the-scenes questions and solutions that weren’t included on this podcast.
Well, there you’ve it! Here are my takeaways from this fascinating dialogue with Tilar:
- I really like the way in which Tilar brings to reside the backstory of Veuve Clicquot and simply how extraordinary she was in her time when girls weren’t in enterprise in any respect, not to mention constructing certainly one of France’s premium luxurious manufacturers.
- Her story is so inspiring: she’s solely in her mid-20s, her husband dies, she has a younger youngster, and but she has the heart to step up and take over the household enterprise fairly than hand the reins off to a male family member.
- I so admire her technical innovation with the riddling technique to hurry up manufacturing and the truth that her closest rival didn’t be taught her secret for years as a result of her workers had been so loyal. She should have been an inspiring chief.
- Despite formidable odds, just like the blockades of the Napoleonic Wars, she persists and will get her product by to the Russian court docket, the largest model builder of the day who helped make her Champagne well-known.
- She’s additionally a sensible lady who admits when she’s incorrect and doesn’t enable pleasure to get in the way in which of an ideal enterprise alternative with the dry model of Champagne that she learns from the Veuve Pommery.
- Tilar can also be a grand dame of wine herself, along with her dedication to pure and biodynamic winemaking, which isn’t straightforward in BC’s cool local weather. She additionally has a holistic mindset with not including sulphites to the wine to protect the pure microorganisms in addition to bottling in growlers as respect to the surroundings.
You’ll discover hyperlinks to Tilar’s vineyard web site, social media handles, the video model of this interview and the gadget she really useful within the present notes at nataliemaclean.com/37.
Did you recognize that you would be able to now hearken to this podcast in your sensible speaker? Just say: “Hey Google” or for Amazon’s Echo, use her title that begins with A … I received’t say it now because it’ll set off your system and mine.
So I’ll say Madame A as in “Madam A — play the Unreserved Wine Talk podcast.” I’d love to speak about wine with you whereas knitting doilies, watching your kids’s soccer recreation or taking somewhat noon nap … it’s at all times wine time.
If you favored this episode, please inform a pal about it, particularly one who’s within the fascinating story of Veuve Clicquot that Tilar shared. My podcast is straightforward to search out, whether or not you search Google on its title Unreserved Wine Talk, or on my title.
Finally, if you wish to take your capability to pair wine and meals to the following stage, be part of me in a free on-line video class at nataliemaclean.com/class.
I can’t wait to share extra wine tales with you.
Thank you for taking the time to hearken to this one. I hope one thing nice is in your glass this week, maybe a glass of Veuve Clicquot Champagne!