This Beef Barley Soup is a simple, hearty dinner thought that’s loaded with tender chunks of beef, barley and greens. It’s a wholesome meal that’s good for making forward for a busy week!
With fall coming and college again in session (or getting shut!), we’re loving all the comfortable, wholesome soups! If you might be too, you would possibly get pleasure from this Crockpot Taco Soup, this Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup or this Egg Drop Soup!
Beef Barley Soup
This Beef Barley Soup is basically probably the greatest, heartiest meals for fall, winter or only a chilly summer season day.
It’s thick and wealthy and loaded with taste, because of these browned chunks of beef and tender greens.
It’s additionally a simple recipe to customise, and swap out my greens in your favorites or nearly something you’ve got available that you have to get out of the fridge.
The flavors of the greens and the meat simmer collectively to provide the broth essentially the most unimaginable taste — good for dunking that crusty bread! — so the extra greens you throw in, the extra taste it should have!
How to make Beef Barley Soup:
- Start by browning your chunks of beef in a little bit of oil — this provides the soup an unimaginable taste base so don’t skip this half! You could have to do that in a pair batches to make sure they brown and don’t steam.
- Add your onions and spices and provides them a fast toast within the pan — this wakes up dried spices and helps carry out their taste.
- Add your greens, your broth, and your barley and simmer simply till all the pieces is tender. This can take some time, so plan accordingly and benefit from the superb scent that can fill your kitchen!
Which kind of barley is finest for soup?
Pearl barley is my most well-liked kind of barley for this soup, as it’s hearty and fewer processed than fast cooking barley, however it doesn’t take practically as lengthy to cook dinner as hulled barley.
Pearl barley and fast cooking barley are the 2 sorts you’ll usually discover in your grocery retailer cabinets, and both will work on this recipe however they’ve completely different cook dinner instances.
Pearl barley cooks for 25-35 minutes, and fast cooking barley will be prepared in 10-15 minutes.
I just like the longer simmering time for this soup, because it permits the flavors to return collectively.
Looking for easier soup recipes? Try these:
Beef Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb beef (minimize into cubes)
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 3-Four massive carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 half of teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- half of teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3/Four cup pearl or pot barley (rinsed)
- Three tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- recent parsley
- In a big dutch oven or soup pot, brown meat in oil over medium-high warmth, simply till browned on all sides, about 2 minutes per facet. Remove from the pot and put aside.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook dinner and stir 3-Four minutes, simply till onion is translucent.
- Add garlic, salt, thyme and pepper and cook dinner and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, barley, tomato paste and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over medium-high warmth, then scale back warmth to medium-low, cowl and simmer for 35-45 minutes, stirring often, till barley and carrots are tender.
- Serve with a sprinkle of recent parsley if desired.